Tuesday 8 March 2011

Women

Happy International Women's day to you all ladies. Just to recap International Women's Day always falls on the 8th of March is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. I was not aware but in some places like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, International Women's Day is a national holiday, think our government should seriously take note.

OK so my post below this now seems very fickle, ironic and almost contradictory although this is not what I at all intended. Although I'm not taking a political stance here by listing iconic political figures that have helped pave the way for equal rights for women, the women listed below can not be ignored as they have all had and still have a massive influence on our lives due to their positions within western popular culture and the world of fashion! Well they've certainly had an influence on the way I perceive  beauty, style and talent that's for sure. These lovely ladies are all pretty hot to trot in my opinion and this is an ode to them on this celebratory day for the female of the species. Hope you all had a lovely day! x





Clockwise:
 So first up we have Lou Dillon, I discovered this lady flicking through the pages of Nylon back in my really early 20's (gawd it feels so strange to be able say that!), she'd just starred in the film Sisters with another of my favorite style icons Chloe Sevigny. This french model and actress could probably do no wrong in the style stakes even if its for the plain fact that her mother is Jane Birkin! What a standard to have to live up to, intimidating? Not for Lou, this girl was rocking dreadlocks, Grateful- dead t-shirts and roller-blades combo's when she was just 9 years old. It's for this reason my friends that this girl has got the laid-back aesthetic down to a tee! I love her disheveled hair and smudged liner, even in the slinkiest of Balmain numbers the girl adds an extra tablespoon full of grunge! I adore her off beat style and atypical beauty. 
Next up Marylin, well what could I tell you that you already don't know. it was love at first sit for me at the age of 8 when I saw ' Some Like It Hot'. Actress, model, singer and icon. What I truly find fascinating about her was that she honed her 'dumb blond' persona specifically to help garner her most iconic roles. She did love playing the sex-pot and why not! She did it very well. Despite her inner turmoil in her later years she never put on a below par performance, an actress all the way! 
Chloe, Chloe, Chloe- even her name reeks of cool. Enough said, I think we all know why this girl wins in the indie pin-up film and fashion stakes.
Freija Bela Erichsen, OK she makes the grade purely because I have the massivest girl crush on this woman! I'll admit the girl needs a little more meat on her bones, but I can not help but marvel at her impeccable bone structure, intense moody stare and gorgeous hair! If Kate Moss was the pioneer of androgyny in the 90's then Freija has to take credit for the resurgence in the mid-00'sDiscovered on the streets of Denmark hailing a taxi, she made her debut in 2005 and was swept up instantly by the heavy weights that is Prada, Louis Vuitton and Miu, Miu. Hot, Hot, Hot.
Last but not least my darling Kelis. As you probably have guessed I'm a bit of a fan of this girls milkshakes! She's had a post dedicated to her already, so I won't ramble on

No comments:

Post a Comment